Mr Steve Langton, Consultant Maxillo-Facial Surgeon from East Lancashire Hospitals Trust, is the Chair of the Lancashire & South Cumbria Head & Neck Network Site Specific Group (NSSG).
The role and purpose of the Head & Neck NSSG is to improve the experience and outcomes of cancer care for Head & Neck patients in the Lancashire & South Cumbria Cancer Network. This involves consideration of strategies and plans for service improvement and service development across the patient pathway, incorporating all aspects of care at appropriate stages of the patient's journey. The aim is to achieve the best possible outcomes and best quality of life for all patients who use Head & Neck cancer services within the Network.
The Head & Neck NSSG will:
- agree a set of clinical guidelines and patient pathways to support the delivery of high quality equitable services across the network;
- review the quality and completeness of data, recommending corrective action where necessary;
- produce audit data and participate in open review;
- ensure services are evaluated by patients and carers;
- monitor progress on meeting national cancer measures and ensure actions following peer review are implemented;
- review and discuss identified risks/untoward incidents to ensure learning is spread;
- agree a common approach to research and development, working with the network research team, participating in nationally recognised studies whenever possible.
Members of the NSSG will be responsible for feeding back information/decisions from the NSSG to their clinical and managerial colleagues.