Mr Mark Tomlinson, Consultant General, Vascular and Endocrine Surgeon from University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Trust, is the Chair of the Lancashire & South Cumbria Thyroid Network Site Specific Group (NSSG).
The role and purpose of the Thyroid NSSG is to improve the experience and outcomes of cancer care for thyroid cancer patients in the Lancashire & South Cumbria Cancer Network. This involves consideration of strategies and plans for service improvement, service development and service delivery, across the patient pathway, incorporating all aspects of care at appropriate stages of the patient's journey.
The Thyroid NSSG will:
- Provide the Head & Neck NSSG with clinical opinion on issues relating to thyroid cancer for the Network.
- Develop guidelines for the referral, diagnosis and treatment of thyroid cancer.
- Consult with the relevant cross-cutting Network groups on issues involving radiotherapy, chemotherapy, cancer imaging, histopathology and laboratory investigation and specialist palliative care.
- Maintain formal links with the Specialist Thyroid MDT/NSSG based in Manchester.
- Research – will inform the Head & Neck NSSG of relevant thyroid trials