Useful Network Links Dementia
Please see list of links that you may find useful.
The guide can be downloaded here.
The Dementia Interactive Care Pathway Toolkit
The Dementia interactive care pathway toolkit maps out the care pathway a dementia patient will follow and provides an aide-memoire for the services and support needed from diagnosis to end-of-life care.
Implementation guide and resource pack for dementia care
NHS England has published a new dementia guide that sets out what good quality assessment, diagnosis and care looks like in relation to formal guidance, in addition to the views and expectations of people living with dementia and their carers.
The guide is shaped by the framework set by the NHS Mandate and has two clear requirements to enhance dementia care, through:
- increasing the number of people being diagnosed with dementia, and starting treatment, within six weeks from referral; and
- improving the quality of post-diagnostic treatment and support for people with dementia and their carers.
Dementia Diagnosis Management
The additional national enhanced service for dementia identification highlights the challenge of dementia and the urgent need to identify and provide appropriate support to our patients, and their families, who are living with this condition.
This resource has been produced to help GPs contribute positively to the needs of dementia patients. It is neither a guideline nor a protocol, but a pragmatic document intended to offer practical advice. It reflects the opinions of the authors and includes general practice input in the form of questions that might be posed to specialists and suggestions about creating a potential link with GP appraisal.
A regional 'Evidently Better' briefing note relating to ongoing post-diagnostic support for people with dementia, their families and carers. The document is intended for local commissioners to help shape their strategic approach to dementia care.
- suggests simple steps that CCGs might undertake to ensure they are providing coordinated care for people with dementia;
- provides examples of current practice to help stimulate local thinking on how services might be developed and delivered, including contacts who can provide further details; and
- signposts to key documents and some of the resources available to support local organisations in developing their CCG dementia strategies
- Dementia Policy
- Kings fund – Care Demands and Dementia
- Department of Health Prime Minister's Challenge on Dementia 2020 Implementation Plan
Dementia prevalence highlighting geographical variation
- NHS Atlas of Variation
- NICE – Guidelines for supporting people with dementia and their carers in health and social care
Early Signs of Dementia
- Alzheimer’s Association 10 Early Signs and Symptoms Alzheimer’s
Living well with Dementia
- Alzheimer’s Association Exercise and Physical Activity
- NHS Choices Living well with Dementia
- NHS England Well Pathway to Dementia
- The Kings Fund - Developing Supportive design for people with Dementia
Suggested further reading
- NHS Outcomes Framework
- Adult Social Care Outcomes 2014-2015
- Pub Med.Gov End of Life Care in Advanced Dementia
- ISD ScotlandDementia Post-diagnostic Support
- Public Health England National Mental Health Dementia and Neurology Intelligence Network