The Palliative and End of Life network sets the priorities and areas of work to develop and improve services in Greater Manchester and Eastern Cheshire.
Led by senior clinicians, supported by the strategic network team, and is overseen by the Palliative and End of Life Steering Group made up of commissioners, service providers, patients, carers and members of the public. Palliative and End of Life Care will have two Advisory Groups covering
- Greater Manchester
- Eastern Cheshire
We are committed to integrating our services in all our SCN domains and areas of work. This includes working in partnership with our advisory groups, such as The Palliative and End of Life Care Greater Manchester Advisory group being integrated with the Greater Manchester Cancer Services (GMCS) Palliative Care Board.
The clinical leads and Strategic Network Team are responsible for delivering projects which focus on:
- Increasing expected deaths in usual place of residence
- Increasing registration of acute hospitals to the National Transform Programme (improving Palliative and End of Life Care in the Acute Sector)
- Supporting the implementation of 'Electronic Palliative Care Coordination System' (EPaCCS) across the network Coordinate the programmes of work for end of life care facilitators to provide a consistency of delivery in Palliative and end of life care
- Provide a coordinated approach to the implementation of a unified DNACPR policy across the network
- Provide direction for high quality end of life care following the phase out of the 'Liverpool Care Pathway' (LCP) by producing a package which is supported by education, training and audit
- Support the public health campaign to increase discussions and planning around end of life care
Partnership working is essential in achieving our objectives and we work closely with the local, regional and national organisations, including the third sector in delivering our programmes and projects. The views of patients and carers are especially important and are represented through a number of channels.